Facial skin rejuvenation, wound healing, infection control, fat grafting, osteoarthritis, muscle injuries, tendon irritations, hair growth stimulation, endoprosthetics… This list of medical applications of PRP therapy, also called autologous blood therapy or autohemotherapy, can and will continue in the future. There is hardly any other therapy that has such a wide range of medical applications, at the same time high-cost efficiency, excellent tolerability and extensive freedom of adverse effects. Overshadowed by industrial drug production, this method, which has been in use for over 30 years, has only been experiencing a rapid boom for more than a decade. For a few years now, this therapy has also been used to treat an increasing number of urological, reproductive and gynecological symptoms and diseases.
PRP means platelet-rich plasma and this autologous plasma obtained from the patient's own blood and having a high concentration of blood platelets, is even used for various therapeutic purposes. Normally, no more than 60 ml of blood is collected. This whole blood is separated by centrifugation in so-called PRP tubes into red blood cells, platelets and white blood cells, so that about a quarter of the total blood volume used can be obtained as PRP. The reasons for this wide therapeutic diversity of PRP are heterogeneous, but the main one is the platelets or thrombocytes. Within the first few minutes of tissue damage, thrombocytes secrete a variety of growth factors and other regulatory proteins, which recruit various immune cells, activate blood clotting and stimulate tissue and blood vessel regeneration and new formation. It is exactly these effects that are promoted for therapeutic purposes. Simplicity, affordability and naturalness of this therapy are the features that stand out: it does not include medication burdened with adverse-effects, invasive surgery, or expensive medical equipment.
The key benefits of PRP therapy for reproductive medicine, gynecology and urology can be summarized as follows:
• Cost efficiency: It is an inexpensive treatment that any patient can afford.
• Uncomplicated and simple implementation: The treatment can be performed as an outpatient within a quarter of an hour.
• High willingness of patients to consent: The treatment is painless, without surgical intervention and without long downtimes
• Excellent tolerability and extensive freedom from adverse effects: Since this means the administration of body's own substances, allergies, adverse effects, complications and other risks can be largely excluded.
• Accelerated healing and pain alleviation: Platelets activate regeneration processes by means of various regulatory proteins, which quickly alleviate pain and accelerate all healing processes.
• Sustainability of therapy effectiveness: The healing effect of the therapy is natural and therefore sustainable.
• Ideal adjuvant therapy: Due to its simplicity, affordability, naturalness and other benefits listed above, it can be easily integrated into many treatment strategies.
As an adjuvant therapy, PRP has been used for many years for the prevention of post-operative infections and for the treatment of chronic wound or bone infections. PRP application in combination with antibiotics demonstrates a pronounced synergistic effect that has proven to be effective in the fight against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. These appear to be the first steps of PRP toward a new effective antibacterial agent capable of replacing antibiotic medication as the main therapy in some gynecological and reproductive diseases and symptoms. This is due to the fact that antibiotics can only prevent infection, while PRP can also eliminate the consequences of infection for a patient. This fact is of utmost importance for the treatment of many gynecological and reproductive diseases and symptoms that can have serious consequences for reproductive health. The accelerated healing and the sustainability of the therapy are also of considerable importance. On the whole, the following positive effects on the female sexual and reproductive tract can be achieved by PRP therapy:
- Menstrual cycle normalization
- Regeneration of vaginal and cervical mucosa
- Normalization of pelvic floor muscle tone
- Healing of cracked skin and injuries in the vagina
- Lowering general risk of diseases
During therapy, the prepared platelet-rich plasma is usually injected into the vaginal areas to be treated. It is a short and practically painless treatment. It can be used as a main therapy in the context of a so-called vaginal rejuvenation, which can help with symptoms during menopause, after long-term use of contraceptives or with long-term effects after chemotherapy and radiotherapy. According to some studies, the success rate of this PRP-mediated vaginal rejuvenation therapy is 85-90%. It can also be used as an adjuvant therapy in cryotherapy, argon plasma coagulation, various medication strategies, radiosurgery, photodynamic therapy, laser treatment, diathermy, etc. In this context, the following diseases and symptoms can also be positively influenced:
- Chronic endometritis
- Chronic endocervicitis and exocervicitis
- Gynecological inflammations
- Kraurosis vulvae
- Leukoplakia of the cervix
- Lichen planus
- Lichen sclerosus
- Vaginal dryness
- Vulvar vestibulitis syndrome
- Cervical Erosion
Urological PRP applications
The PRP can be applied to successfully treat the most difficult symptoms of a big part of urological diseases such as burning feeling when urinating, pelvic pain, urgant urination, hematuria, etc., which also significantly impair the mental well-being of patients. Recently, there has been an increasing number of studies showing that PRP injections have been successful in treating a long range of urological diseases and symptoms such as male erectile dysfunction (ED), urethritis, bladder infection, urinary and genital infections, intrinsic sphincter deficiency.
Plasmolifting PRP tubes offer the best PRP preparation method on the today's market. The urological interventions, where injections are carried out into the urethra or the bladder wall, are a delicate matter. Only the best products should be used for this, because there is no place for mistakes.